Tuesday, December 4, 2012

My Happy Place

This is an actual picture I took last week in my "happy place" - some call it the Happiest Place on Earth. It was a truly magical trip with some precious friends and we had a fabulous time. I didn't want it to end!

So it may sound strange to let you know that a few months ago I was terrified to go. I have been there several times and always enjoyed myself, but this time would be different.

This time, I was following LEAP.

When I first decided to take my LEAP of faith in September, I almost decided to wait until after this trip. Because I was getting sad just thinking about the food I would have to give up. For me, part of the "magic" of Disney was the great food - and when I booked the trip almost a year ago, I booked it with the Deluxe Dining Plan (I can almost hear the collective sigh from those of you who know what that is.) Basically, you get an appetizer, entree and dessert at every meal. Like, even at lunch. We were going to all the "awesome" restaurants. And there would be lots & lots of food. Food that I couldn't eat. Food that I would have to watch my friends eat. And that made me sad.

I remember expressing my fears to my nutritionist Emily. She told me we would cross that bridge when we came to it. In the back of my mind, I was thinking I would just go off the program for that week and go back on it when I came home. Because that is how my mind worked three months ago.

Once the trip got close, I was no longer terrified. Not only that, but I was no longer hearing a voice in the back of my mind to go off and on program. Because I knew, after almost 3 months of feeling the best I have felt in my life, that there was NO WAY I would give it up for any food, magic pixie dust be damned.

So, I did a few things to make sure I would have no (or at least less) drama when ordering. I contacted the special diet hotline and explained I had food sensitivities. They said they would note my reservations. I stocked up on snacks: put 1/4 cup of cashews in snacks bags, ordered some fruit snacks with my approved ingredients, and made sure I had ENOUGH of them to last me the week. I even packed a container of Quaker oats and a glass bowl to make oatmeal (TSA must have had a good laugh at that) and told my traveling companions in advance that I would be eating only what I was allowed to eat, and that I was perfectly OK with it and not to feel sorry for me.

I said it before and I will say it again - on LEAP, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail. That's my numero uno LEAP quote! (real credit goes to Ben Franklin - he said it first) 

Here's the awesome thing: I had SUCH an amazing time. Like, best trip everrrr. And it occurred to me that the food was not the fun. The fun was the fun. And feeling good trumps a Mickey bar any day. I knew that if I strayed from plan, I would have side effects that would not have allowed me to enjoy myself as much. And I also learned that with careful planning, you can enjoy time away without feeling panicked or at the mercy of someone else. You do not have to be "terrified" to leave the comfort and safety of home, because you CAN follow the plan outside in the real world. You just have to plan. The Disney chefs were so accommodating to my requests. They would come to my table, I would ask for what I knew I could have (like a plain grilled chicken breast, no seasonings, plain veggies and fruit salad for dessert). Easy peasy, actually. And you know what? I ate very, very well. My friends had steak, I had steak. Without pepper or butter mind you,  but it was steak, and it was goooood. My fruit salads were not only pretty to look at but just what I needed. And in a this-never-happens moment when I got home, I discovered I actually lost almost 2 pounds. While at Disney. On the Deluxe Dining Plan. And it wasn't because I wasn't eating, trust you me. I ate well but I also exercised like crazy (we averaged 7-9 miles of walking a day - and yes, I brought my running shoes and enjoyed a run along Seven Seas Lagoon!)

I know I can leave home and be safe and stay on track. Planning ahead, having snacks at the ready (I always had 3-4 things in my purse at all times - including an apple or orange) - it worked. I have to laugh when I think of the girl 3 months ago who was terrified to go to Disney because they had good food there. It was once a scary prospect but I was ultimately in control and I have never felt more proud. I am getting my life back - my abundant life!

Here's my Disney-fied proof that eating out on vacation can be OK!

Mickey Oatmeal! 

Japanese Hibachi in Epcot's Japan - cooked without my reactive oil! Delish! 

Perfect dessert! 
I did not suffer on this vacation - 3 months ago I was sure I would. The food was excellent and I stayed true to plan, 100%, and was able to find plenty of non-reactive food to enjoy. Key word enjoy. The magic of Disney will no longer be tied to the food I eat. Major, major breakthrough for those who know me well.

I guess I have figured out where my real Happy Place is. It's inside of me. As corny as that may sound, I finally believe that it's true. I have found peace inside of me, peace that comes from knowing that I am being good to myself, and peace that comes from just feeling good. Not walking around in pain, not being irritable to my family, not going to bed bloated and stuffed, not having headaches that would cause me to sleep until 1pm on my days off - all that is behind me, because of the LEAP of faith I took just a few short months ago.

No matter what plan you are following when you're on vacation, there IS a way to stick to it if you are committed to feeling good and you make a plan. I am just so grateful that I found that out! Until next time...







No comments:

Post a Comment